The complete automotive resource for buyers, sellers, and owners like you.
------ Advertisement ------
Car, Truck and SUV Forums at Roadfly
+ Bentley Forums
+ BMW Forums
+ Cadillac Forums
+ Chevrolet Forums
+ Ferrari Forums
+ Jaguar Forums
+ Lamborghini Forums
+ Lotus Forums
+ Mercedes-Benz Forums
+ Maserati Forums
+ MINI Forums
+ Porsche Forums
+ General Discussion
+ Marketplace Forums
Re: Changing from 300Hp Boxster to XKR cabrio. (archive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ XK8 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on June 22, 2002 at 08:01:42:

In Reply to: Changing from 300Hp Boxster to XKR cabrio. posted by J.Seven on June 22, 2002 at 01:52:14:

Hi, Ive a Porsche Boxster since 98. My car has the the 300Hp engine that comes in the (1998-02) Porsche Carrera(upgrade made in Germany). Im very happy with this car, its as fast or even a bit faster than the 911 Carrera and the handling is just amazing. Engine sound is also from another world, but since 1997 from the first time I saw the XK 8, I found it to be most charming car in his class. When the XK R came out with 363Hp I felt that this would be best of both world car. Lots of power, a cabrio with desirable lines and the luxury and confort with Jaguar touch.

My question is this, I know this car is not as sportive as my upgraded Boxster Engine/gearbox/steering feel/handling in Boxster is at a very high level, will the XK R be able to make me forget the Porsche in terms of driving pleasure? My main concern is the automatic gearbox, this might take out some of the pure driving pleasure this British car can give. I also would like to know hows the car feels at high speeds regarding bufting inside the the cabin. In Boxster you can drive at 150Kph/94Mph and still listen to music and theres not much bufting inside the cabin, will the XK R provide the same wind/noise protection? Also a baby might come in next year so although not to be used as my everyday, the rear seats could give some help to be riding with all family with the wind on your face if you know what I mean.

How about reliability, are these cars prone to have problems, and what kind of problems? What do I have to look in special for a 98 used XK R? What do you experts owners have to say about this issue.

I know these are total different cars, scooring in two different leagues, but those XK R lines are growing and growing on me, and everytime I see one I just cant stop looking. Your ownership experience will be a greatfull help in my future decision, thanks in advance.

J.Seven

Ps- Sorry for the long post and English errors(not my first linguage)

I don't beleive the XKR was available until the 2000 model year. In terms of comparisons, I have a 2001 XK8 and although it is certailny no "sports car", I wanted a luxurious interior and comfortable amenities. On those points, it certainly delivers. And you can't forget the STYLE! In terms of reliablility, I previously had a 97 XK8 (before my current 01 model), and I did not experience any significant reliability problems. My measly 290 HP gets me around just fine - although I do prefer using the "Sport" transmission setting.

Best regards,

Chris

PS - Nice picture - be sure to post one of your new XKR!

Good luck, and I know y

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ XK8 Message Board ] [ Msg. Board FAQ ]
Questions, comments, or problems, please visit the Roadfly help desk.
Roadfly.com Logo © 1997 - 2019 Jump Internet Inc. All rights reserved.